[ppml] [narten at us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Apr 19 08:00:49 EDT 2006

> The Internet billing model is simple:
>
> (Download - Upload) * $/bit = Billed Amount

This is simply not true. I am not aware of any ISP
that charges for service in this way.

> It is based on two assumptions:
> 1. People access the Internet to download content
> 2. Paying party controls their download activity

This is also not true. People access the Internet for
many reasons, some of which equate to uploading content.
In a common download transaction, both the downloader and
the content provider pay for their Internet service.

> If security becomes a prohibitive concern for the above then the
> product is just not
> ready for use.

The Internet has been running this way for over 10 years.

--Michael Dillon