[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider-independent IPv6 Assignments for End Sites - Last Call

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Mon Apr 17 13:58:25 EDT 2006

> 2811 w/ AC PWR,2FE,4HWICs,2PVDMs,1NME,2AIMS,IP BASE,64F/256D      $2,495
> 256 to 768MB DDR DRAM factory upgrade for the Cisco 2811          $3,500
>
> $1700 street price for the router, and $55 street price for the RAM, if
> you're not picky about manufacturer.
>
> And I have very little doubt that by the time 768mb of RAM becomes
> insufficient to hold a full routing table, vendors will have new things to
> sell me in the sub-$2000 range.

i'm having a sean-doran flashback moment here.  let me share it.

"will control-plane traffic remain a linear fraction of data-plane traffic
or does it go quadratic at some certain graph size?  what about the number
of routing-system recalculations per route advert/withdraw, and overall
stability of the routing system, and router cpu load?"

i don't think RAM is the only thing we need to model.