[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-8: Proposal to amend ARIN IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement - Last Call

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Apr 14 18:28:40 EDT 2006

Hi Owen,

Yes, I know, it may seem so, but is not the case.

Actually for the ISP is cheaper to keep a flat infrastructure, having
everything with /48.

I also don't think the RIR fees will make a difference, at least not in the
short/medium term for that, but of course, this is something that is yet not
clear.

In theory the only reason for 2005-8 is to conserve space. If that's the
case, then what I'm proposing will make it, as the reserved /48 which is not
being used, will be available if we really reach the point where we used all
the non-reserved space. A small policy modification at that point, will
allow the ISPs to forget about those /48 reservations that have not been
claimed by end-users.

I think we should remember that if we agree to change the HD-ratio, the
figures that Tony has calculated, and I think are realistic, give IPv6 a
life of 480 years. Anyone still believe that IP (IPv4 or IPv6, doesn't
matter for this case), will be still available in 200 years ? So ?

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com>
> Responder a: <owen at delong.com>
> Fecha: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:42:33 -0700
> Para: <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>, "ppml at arin.net" <ppml at arin.net>
> Asunto: Re: [ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-8: Proposal to amend ARIN IPv6
> assignment and utilisation requirement - Last Call
>
> Jordi,
> The only problem I see with your proposal here is that requiring the
> ISP to reserve a /48 means that the ISPs costs are the same whether the end
> site accepts a /64, a /56, or a /48.  As such, there would be absolutely no
> benefit whatsoever to allowing smaller assignments.  In essence, the cost
> structure and requirements you propose would nullify the intent of 2005-8.
>
> Owen

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Slides available at: