[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-8: Proposal to amend ARIN IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement - Last Call

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Fri Apr 14 16:42:43 EDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 04:35:25PM -0400, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> I do agree that home users may want to run more than one subnet, and may
> want more than one /64.  Therefore I agree with the guideline that /64's
> should only be given out when it is known a priori that one and only one
> subnet is needed, and that a /56 should be given out otherwise.  However,
> I think that anyone who actually needs a /48 really should be considered a
> business customer, not a residential customer.

I have to admint that I'm very puzzled by the ongoing effort to keep
masks bounded by "interesting" numbers of bits.

While the vast majority of home users will be fine with a /64, how many
of the remainder really will ever need a /56?  I suspect that the
majority not sufficiently serviced by a /64 would be fine with a /63 or
/62.  Why assign all of that extra space?  It seems to me that you can
fit a lot of /62s into a single /56.  (Am I just missing something
obvious here?)

Oh, and I agree that anyone who can justify a /48 is definitely a
business.

-David