[ppml] PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Apr 14 14:48:03 EDT 2006

> So my proposal basically is about having PI now everywhere (once ARIN adopt
> it, is unfair not having it in other regions), but those PI allocations for
> multihoming should be temporary and those address blocks returned to the
> RIRs some time (lets say 3 years) after the new technical solution is
> declared as a valid one.

and why will the result be different than the japanese experiment,
where *temporary* PI v4 space was given out to encourage v6 use,
and has never been returned to the pool?

what i am hearing are well-meaning but non-op v6 marketeers heavily
pushing lots'o v6 pi space, a few ops (e.g. terry) pushing "if folk
can't get pi space they won't join the internet," and the rest of
us trying to see through the smoke to find a win-win in that works
operationally for both the users and the routers.

we all think folk should get what they need.  we just have
differing perceptions of need and of mechanisms to test those
needs.

randy