[ppml] [address-policy-wg] RE: Question

Ray Plzak plzak at arin.net
Thu Apr 13 08:46:05 EDT 2006

Jim,

Regarding direction, ARIN staff implements policies that have reached
community consensus as determined by the ARIN Advisory Council and as
ratified by the Board of Trustees. In one sense, ARIN works like the IETF in
that it is individuals who contribute to the discussion. An organization is
one voice and is not viewed as representative of its members from the
standpoint of numbers. You are correct. This does not preclude someone
representative of the IPv6 Forum from making a statement on either the ppml
or at a meeting on behalf of the Forum. One last point, if the Forum feels
that the community is developing policy that is harmful then the Forum
should certainly make a statement, more importantly, its individual members
should become active voices in the discussion. There are a lot of voices in
the IPv6 discussions but the discussion could be much more robust if those
of the Forum were included.

Ray