[ppml] 4.4.2 Micro-allocations for anycast services

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Tue Apr 11 11:47:39 EDT 2006

Sorry if I don't understand all the lingo (I'm a self-confessed routing
moron), what is "PI space"?

The issue with just getting a /24 allocated from your ISP or upstream I
guess is this ties you to the ISP, if you ever move you then need to get
another allocation from your new ISP.

Also, what if your anycast cloud straddles across multiple ISPs? Would
that still work?

that's why I think the micro-allocation is the solution to give the
smaller players the flexibility to tie their own anycast clouds together
  in a manner that doesn't marry them to their upstream

-mark

David Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:26:51AM -0400, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>
>>Ok.  If this policy is intended for allocations to organizations who don't
>>have PI space, I don't have any real objections to it.  I would be
>>somewhat more comfortable if we explicitly stated the expectation that if
>>you have PI space you should use it for this purpose, and only be eligible
>>for a micro-allocation if you're not big enough to need a PI /22.  But I
>>won't try to hold up the policy until the next meeting based on that
>>quibble.
>

> I'd like to add that if the PI space you do have is in some way
> unsuitable, you can still qualify.  I'll happily agree that this
> proposed policy isn't perfect: I don't think we'll know until we get
> some experience with it.  I fully expect that it will get modified in
> about a year or so.  Perhaps we can ad additional requirements or
> qualifications if the need becomes clear.
>
> -David

Mark Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>
Founder & President, easyDNS Technologies Inc.
ph. +1-(416)-535-8672 ext 225
fx. +1-(866) 273-2892