[ppml] 4.4.2 Micro-allocations for anycast services

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Tue Apr 11 09:26:51 EDT 2006

On 04/10/06 at 11:17pm -0700, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

>       On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>     > I have an unanswered question regarding anycast, namely: why do you need a
>     > micro-allocation to do it?
>
> You don't.  However, if all you need is one IP address, a microallocation
> is less wasteful than a larger block.

True, but no more less wasteful than using a /24 out of a larger block (if
you have one).

>     > > At present, the minimum allocation requirements pose an obstacle to
>     > > smaller to medium DNS providers who want to test and deploy anycast
>     > > services.
>     >
>     > Can you elaborate on this?  I don't see reachability obstacles, as stated
>     > above.  What other obstacles are there to using your existing space to do
>     > anycast?
>
> Exactly what he said: the minimum allocation requirement.  If all you need
> is one IP address, justifying a /22 requires the making of, um,
> unsubstantiatable assertions, to ARIN analysts.  That's an unfortunate
> state of affairs, and one which this policy will correct.

Ok.  If this policy is intended for allocations to organizations who don't
have PI space, I don't have any real objections to it.  I would be
somewhat more comfortable if we explicitly stated the expectation that if
you have PI space you should use it for this purpose, and only be eligible
for a micro-allocation if you're not big enough to need a PI /22.  But I
won't try to hold up the policy until the next meeting based on that
quibble.

-Scott