[ppml] [address-policy-wg] RE: Question

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Mon Apr 10 07:52:52 EDT 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 15:52:56 +0200, "Latif Ladid (The New Internet based
on IPv6)" <latif.ladid at village.uunet.lu> said:
> The technical community should fix this one before the ITU sees this as
> another chance to have a political say on the IPv6 addressing. These
> things
> leak fast. My advice is that ARIN should seriously own this issue before
> the
> ITU turns it to a sovereignty issue, which they could for sure win this
> time. I know one of their noodles is sizzling at it.

ARIN, and all the other RIRs, represent the interests of people in their
region. Anybody who is interested, yourself included, is welcome to
suggest changes to current policies. I'm sure RIR-staff are happy to
guide you through the process. However, to succeed you need to convince
the RIR community that there is a need for a change.

It's interesting to see how people are worried about ITU involvement.
I share some concerns, but remember; the ITU and their OSI protocols
were once at the core of
everything in large-scale networking. Those were left behind because
they
were not flexible enough to keep up with the pace of internet growth in
the '90s. ITU as an organization is just as inflexible today as they
were
10 or 15 years ago, maybe even worse. To consider ITU a threat to the
internet community speaks
heaps about how the community has deteriorated over the last decade.
Parts of the community are already mirroring ITU behaviour, with or
without ITU-involvement.

//per
--
  Per Heldal