[ppml] Definition of an (IPv6) End Site

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Fri Apr 7 04:10:52 EDT 2006

> A wholly- or partially-owned subsidiary is the interesting case.  If
someone
> showed me contracts for service, a flow of invoices and payments, etc.
I'd
> probably agree they're separate orgs.  If the two had no private
> interconnection (e.g. exchanged email over the Internet), I'd agree.  If

> they shared the same network but had internal "charge-backs", I'd
disagree.
> There's a lot of gray in between, however.

And there is the overall question, does ARIN have the right to
make policy on this basis, i.e. the legal arms-length status of
the two entities. ARIN is supposed to be a technical organization
making policies that have a technical basis. We are not part of
the government and we are not supposed to be dealing with
public policy in the generic sense.

> However, that same hole has apparently been abused by enterprises as
well,
> and there's a _lot_ of private businesses out there.  Is Cisco really a
LIR?
> Is IBM?  Only the biggest companies are doing it so far, but those are
also
> the folks that will be telling _their customers_ to do the same as a
"best
> practice", complete with slideware on how to do it.

Perhaps this is because of the fact that we have no reasonable
PI policy. If we had a policy that essentially allows an enterprise
to be a mini-LIR, then this will likely go away. However, if we
make a PI policy with rules that are significantly different from
the rules of PA assignment by an LIR, then we can expect people to
still go after LIR status.

Since we do not carry a big stick, I favor having a PI policy that
is as liberal as PA assignment rules for LIRs.

--Michael Dillon