[ppml] PI Policy 2005-01/2006-04: Eligibility

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 6 19:16:59 EDT 2006

--On April 6, 2006 3:54:05 PM -0400 Thomas Narten <narten at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> On qualifications for obtaining a PI assignment:
>
> 2005-01:
>
> Proposal says:
>
>> a) not be an IPv6 LIR; and
>>
>> b) Qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN under the
>>    IPv4 policy currently in effect.
>
> Discussion/commentary: in practice, this appears to mean:
>
> line b) above is presumably intended to be restricted to 4.3
> "End-users - Assignments to end-users", but that isn't clearly stated,
> so others may be eligible than desired/intended.

As I said to you in private email before you posted this, the
intent in 2005-1 is to have an IPv6 PI policy which tracks IPv4 PI
policies, making IPv6 no more and no less restrictive than IPv4.

While your statement of the effect in practice is accurate today,
IPv4 policy could change.  I think if IPv4 policy changes, it is
desirable to have IPv6 policy track that change until we have
enough operational experience with v6 deployment to determine
a specific independent policy which would be achieved by amending
this policy.

There is no intent to limit this to those qualifying for end user
assignments only, although qualifying for a subscriber allocation
is a true subset of qualifying for an end user allocation at this
time.  As such, I believe that the proposed language expresses
the true intent of the policy authors.

(I am one of the authors of 2005-1, so, I'm pretty confident in my
understanding of our intent)

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.