[ppml] Definition of an (IPv6) End Site

Jason Schiller (schiller@uu.net) jason.schiller at mci.com
Thu Apr 6 10:13:35 EDT 2006

My confusion rests not on who is an end-site, but how many end-sites that
who is.

Let me give you an example.  Lets say I am and ISP and I have a customer
that owns a chain of 100 hardware stores across the US.  Each store is
independently operated.  Each store has a separate Internet connection
through me.  Each store has a single LAN that is only connected to the
Internet.  The stores have no interconnection at all.

But there is one person at the corporate office that orders all of the
T1 installs, and all bills are sent to the corporate office under a single
company name.

Since there is only one end-user that has a business relationship with me,
would this only qualify as a single end-site, and thus all 100 locations
should share a single /48?  Or can I consider each separate network ate
each separate location an end-site?  In this case I could assign 100 /48s.

What if the sites are interconnected, in that case should it be one
end-site?

What if the sites are interconnected, but each site has a different
contact, but it is all part of the same compnay, in that case should it be
one end-site?

I do understand the other confusion that is going on as well, for example
how is the IRS an ISP.

What I want to suggest is if you are trying to tighten the language,
please also consider the case above .

___Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.