[ppml] Policy Proposal 2006-4: IPv6 Direct PI Assignments forEnd Sites - revised text

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Tue Apr 4 10:24:01 EDT 2006

Hello;

On Apr 4, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Howard, W. Lee wrote:

> [...]

As I read this, an end site cannot be multi-homed, so
how can conditions 2 and 3 be simultaneously met ?

          2. be an end site;
          3. be currently multihomed using IPv4;

>> A large (or even not so large) corporation may well act as a transit
>> provider to remote corporate locations;
>> I would argue that the entire entity is a end site, no matter how
>> distributed, but I just wanted to make
>> this clear.
>
> An end site is an organization that gets assignments and transit
> from an upstream.  Under this definition, if an organization gets
> an (unaggregatable) PI assignment, it is not an end site.  A
> remote office could be considered to be an end site.

So, if a company  has 128 small remote offices, each with a fully
used internal IPv4 /24 ,
and uses a /20 at HQ, neither it nor its offices would qualify ?

> Lee

Regards
Marshall