[ppml] Regarding private residence listing recommendations athttp://www.arin.net/registration/guidelines/report_reassign.html

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Sun Oct 23 06:09:56 EDT 2005

I noticed that at
   http://www.arin.net/registration/guidelines/report_reassign.html
it says under "IPv4 Reassign-Simple" section (and similar text in
the next section for "IPv6 Reassign").

  When registering residential customers, ARIN recommends the phrase
  "Private Residence" for the address. ISPs should provide the
  person's name, city, state, postal code, and country to complement the
  private residence designation.

I'd like to inquire why this "recommendation" is in this guidelines as
I believe it is not an appropriate derivation of current ARIN policies
which make no such recommendation and simply give ISPs an option if
(if requested from residential customer) to not list an address for
residential customers and substitute that with phrase "Private Residence".

I believe making it a recommendation has an effect that it may appear
to ISPs that they should be doing it for all residential customers
in-regardless if those customers requested to keep their address private
or not. This is very different then current scenario with white and yellow
books in the US where residential users have to specifically ask phone
company to be excluded and not the other way around.

P.S. I may bring this topic us as remote participant at the open mic,
but I'll try to make information about it short and assume that people
in the audience have read this message. But if we can deal with it on
the list before ARIN meeting that would be better.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net