[ppml] tying back to 2005-1

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri May 20 15:12:35 EDT 2005

In a message written on Fri, May 20, 2005 at 01:56:18PM -0400, Edward Lewis wrote:
> I'm assuming that the mega-thread "IPv6>>32" and it's threadlets are
> related to the proposed policy 2005-1.

As the original poster of "IPv6>>32", my straw man proposal had
nothing specifically to do with 2005-1.  I do think some of the
sub-threads wandered into that area though.

As I see it, there are several interdependent issues to discuss:

- Is a /64 of "host space" a good idea.  (IPv6>>32)
- What is the proper measure of utilization.  [Straight percentage,
  HD Ratio, with either, what is the choice of threshold.]
- Should IPv6 space be made available to non-ISP's? (2005-1)
- Should IPv6 space be made available to non-Internet networks?

Unfortunately, they are very much linked in important ways, where
a change in one area can cause huge consequences in another.
Complicate that with the current lack of operational experience at
all levels and it's extremely difficult to reach a consensus.