[ppml] IPv6>>32

Howard, W. Lee L.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Thu May 19 18:30:10 EDT 2005

> > MMV.  In my experience, people don't get blocks, devices get
> > addresses.  Some of those devices may be routers, which may have
> > blocks of addresses for the devices attached to them. So
> the question
> > of how big a block is appropriate for the room is moot--the right
> > question is how many addresses are required for a routed segment,
> > based on the number of devices connected there.
> >
> I don't that's really the question in IPv6 as the minimum
> routed segment, according to the current address plan, is
> /64, which certainly supports a *REALLY LARGE* number of devices.
>
> The question is more about whether there needs to be more
> than one routed segment per room...??

Good point.  Sounds again like an architecture question--are there
separate layer 2 networks within this topology?  If so, > /64.  I
would argue that dorm rooms in particular don't need to be addressed
for the future, since the device set every 6 months; if the school
eventually rolls out minifridges with IPv6 addressability (so Mr.
Dillon's maid can restock the minibar) then a new infrastructure is
needed anyway, and it will require new numbering.

Lee