[ppml] IPv6>>32

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu May 12 21:03:34 EDT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:39:20PM -0700, william(at)elan.net wrote:
>> I would suspect that the same would be true for IPv6 and ISPs would report
>> to ARIN (and thus it would be visible in public whois) assignments of /48
>> blocks but single host assignments of /64 would be optional.
>
> I believe per sectin 6.5.5 of the NRPM that /64's must be registered as
> well, although I must admit the wording leaves something to be desired:
>
> To save you from having to open a browser, I quote:
>
> ] When an organization holding an IPv6 address allocation makes IPv6
> ] address assignments, it must register assignment information in a
> ] database, accessible by RIRs as appropriate (information registered by
> ] an RIR/NIR may be replaced by a distributed database for registering
> ] address management information in future). Information is registered in
> ] units of assigned /48 networks. When more than a /48 is assigned to an
> ] organization, the assigning organization is responsible for ensuring
> ] that the address space is registered in an RIR/NIR database.

Yes, this wording is troublesome to say the least. However I interpret it
different then you:

| Information is registered in units of assigned /48 networks.

My Interpretation: Register assignments with size of block /48 or more

| When more than a /48 is assigned to an organization, the assigning
| organization is responsible for ensuring that the address space is
| registered in an RIR/NIR database.

My Interpretation: If LIR sub-allocates space to another organization
(smaller ISP) with size of sub-allocation greater then /48, then whoever
the block is sub-allocated to is responsible for making further allocations
and assignments to RIR whois (Note that I interpreted assign as allocate
as I think for other RIRs they do not make distinction of how its done
and the policy was originally one prepared as unifying one for all RIRs)

Considering difficulting in reading that paragraph and interpreting it,
if there is a person on this list, who originally drafted that paragraph,
it would be great if he could stand up and tell us what was meant and
whose interpretation is correct.

And for future readers AC should think about policy change to replace
that paragraph with something easier to understand...

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net