[ppml] IPv6>>32

Howard, W. Lee L.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue May 10 12:45:49 EDT 2005

What size assignment do you advocate for a produce crate?  Please
extrapolate the lifetime of IPv6 if consumables get subnets.

> > In any case it is wrong for an ISP to assume that the device at the
> > end
> of a
> > particular link is an endpoint handset.
>
> I think this is the fundamental challenge of networking in
> this century. The current IPv4 network is rather small and
> can often be visualized as a hierarchy from Tier1 to provider
> core to pop to end site. Today this is a workable
> simplification in many instances. But the small IPv4
> networks
> common today will be dwarfed by the scale and complexity of
> networks 50 years from now. In 50 years, it will be difficult
> to identify end-sites because many traditional end-sites will
> become gateways to other networks
> at least part of the time.

What kind of addressing policy and routing system would you propose
to scale to that kind of network?

> > FUD simply states that we are wasting space because we are
> allocating
> more
> > than we have in the past.
>
> I think we are allocating less than in the past. In IPv4 we give
> a new ISP 20 bits of address space. In IPv6 we give him 32
> bits in his prefix. Therefore the IPv6 ISP is getting a much
> smaller fraction of the total address space than the IPv4
> ISP. These people who talk about waste simply do not
> understand IPv6 fundamentals. Either that, or their
> definition of "waste" doesn't match what I read in the dictionary.

A smaller fraction for ISPs, but as you point out, there are many
different kinds of entities that could get assignments.  It seems to
me that most arguments assume a higher rate of growth than the
current curve.

Lee