[ppml] IPv6>>32

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Mon May 9 18:56:31 EDT 2005

Randy Bush wrote:
> > IPv6 deployment is gated by lack of applications and/or a
> > crisis. The crisis is looming
>
> shall we have a game to see who can list the crises which were
> about to explode v6 deployment which have loomed in the last
> decade?
>
> don't get me wrongly.  i will not be at all unhappy if ipv6 moves
> from k00la1d to reality.  but, for a decade, i have had this
> problem of seeing the emperor's attire, and i don't see it today.
> perhaps it's my aging eyes.

Those would be the same ones that claim to see that 8k times the number of
bits that got us 30 years (while arguably loosely managed and including
hosts) will be insufficient to get us past 100 years (by only indicating the
customer demarc). 45 bits is a very large space.

You can drop the bubble-hype of 'it didn't happen in 6 months so it isn't
real'. We knew going in that it would take a decade to make a massive change
to the infrastructure, and all hype aside we are not getting it done any
quicker by wasting time fighting nay-sayers. If you choose to slam into the
wall when the address pool runs out that is your choice. Some of us want to
enable others to avoid the problems that will create.

Tony