[ppml] Re: 2005-1:Multi-national Business Enablement

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed May 4 04:39:14 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 18:06 -0400, Howard, W. Lee wrote:
> > Behalf Of Jeroen Massar
<SNIP>
> > The real problem you seem to be having is that you do not
> > want to give address space to endusers. Because then you
> > can't have a 'business case' and letting them pay for more addresses.
>
> Why do you assume this motive?

Because that is the current business case of many ISP's ?
And they earn money with this? There are only few customers ISP's who
actually give out multiple IP's to end users.

1 IP address for 'home users', multiple for 'business accounts', for the
latter you pay a lot more. Thus if you want to have multiple PC's online
with IPv4 addresses you end up doing either NAT, going to a friendly ISP
or getting yourself a very expensive business type account.

Funny that ISP's claim they can't assign more IP addresses to endusers
because "there is a shortage", while they can simply request them from
their local RIR.

Note the above is for IPv4 and I sincerely hope that ISP's don't do this
for IPv6 and nicely give endusers a /48 routed towards the endpoint of
that enduser, including reverse dns delegation if that user asks for it
of course.

If ISP's don't do this, then we can stick to IPv4 and NAT just as well
and not even bother with IPv6.

(I am btw glad to know a friendly ISP ;)

> > RIRs exist in those regions to be able to help out their
> > local members better. Never realized that it is easier for
> > Japanese/Korean/Chinese organizations to be able to talk in
> > their own tongue to their RIR, or do you want everything to
> > be 'owned & regulated by the US', if you want that, please
> > sign up with the ITU, they want that too.
>
> I think Dr. Zhao would disagree with you.
> http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/tsb-director/itut-wsis/files/zhao-netgov01.doc
> I believe the NIRs in Japan, Korea and China operate in the local
> languages.

That is exactly what I meant with the above. I should have added a
colon/newline behind the "to their RIR" part to separate the sentence
apparently. As for the ITU part, read between the lines of the following
presentations: http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/ngn/200505/program.html
IETF = open free end-2-end connectivity, ITU = regulate+charge for every
single application, and it seems they want to bring this weird idea to
the internet unfortunately...

Greets,
 Jeroen