[ppml] /48 vs /32 micro allocations

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Mar 15 09:17:48 EST 2005

> I can think of at least one...
> 	The greater the sparsity of address utilization, the easier
> it is to hijack portions of the address space.  That, in and of itself,
> to me seems like a good reason NOT to pursue a sparse allocation policy.

this is nonsequitur.  ipv4 is a lot smaller and denser than ipv6, and yet
spammers routinely advertise ipv4 blocks, spam from them for a few minutes,
and then withdraw the route before most folks get around to traceroute'ing.

we're going to need some form of end to end bgp authentication no matter
whether we move to ipv6 or not, or do so with sparse allocations or dense.