[ppml] Directory Services - Take 2

Andrew Newton andy at hxr.us
Fri Jun 10 15:41:53 EDT 2005

For what it is worth, I agree with Ed.

On Jun 10, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Edward Lewis wrote:

> The IETF works on volunteered actions from the community.  ARIN is
> ideally suited, as much as any organization in North America, to
> volunteer the knowledgeable resources to push through the
> specification for IRIS's address registry.  (The doc in question is
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-crisp-iris-
> areg-11.txt.) ARIN can't "ram" this through the IETF, but the
> membership should keep participation in this a priority.
>
> IRIS isn't the only engineering concern, it's one of many.  If we
> don't use policy to track engineering efforts like this, what do we
> use?  (That was the question I posed during the open policy bof in
> Orlando.)  How do we indicate that ARIN spends time and effort on
> helping IRIS through the IETF process as well as helps provide the
> servers and clients?  (Note: "provide" does not mean the staff
> implements and maintains the code.  It *could* mean that the budget
> has money set aside to fund the development.)

Some of the ARIN staff have been participating the working group.  If
they've been missing their kids birthdays or whatever because there
is no proper support in place for them, then something needs to be
adjusted.  So I agree with Ed.  The intent of IRIS-AREG in CRISP is
to have something that works with all RIRs, and therefore the
participation by ARIN staff is necessary.

-andy