[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-9: 4-Byte AS Number

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Wed Dec 21 15:54:28 EST 2005

>3.) 2005-9 says nothing about whether or not people requesting 4 byte
>ASN can request specific 4 byte
>ASN. I think that the current sequential assignment should continue.

It was never my intention to alter the AS Number assignment policy to allow
the request of specific numbers.

Now the policy, as written, had a definition of "4-Byte only AS Numbers" in
the terminology section, and I suspect that this definition is adequate in
terms of equating this phrase with the concept of numbers with non-zero
high order bits.

regards,

    Geoff