[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-9: 4-Byte AS Number

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 21 15:09:25 EST 2005

> IP addresses in aggregate express a hierarchy.  AS numbers do not.

Or at least do not yet.

> 2 byte ASN's 0 - 65535 unsigned, and 4 byte are 65536-4294967295.  ASN
> 1,000,000 would mean the AS space has grown an additional ~15 times the
> existing space.

Not quite.  16 bit ASNs are 0-65535 unsigned.  32 bit ASNs are 0-4294967295
also unsigned.  32 bit ASNs which overlap the same integer space as the
16 bit ASNs are equivalent and all 32 bit ASN software is required to
support 16 bit representations thereof.

> Most of us can deal with with 7 digit phone numbers.  I leave it to
> someone  else to figure out the burn rate of ASN's but it'll probably
> take double  digit years to reach 100,000, least of all > 7 digit ASNs.

How many 7 digit phone numbers have you seen without separators?
Most I've seen are either XX-XX-XXX or XXX-XXXX.

Owen