[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Thu Dec 15 10:16:52 EST 2005

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Bill Darte wrote:
>
> > the leverage to move.  If you think the dates cannot be met,
>
> No, I don't think these dates will be met. Nor does IETF have
> a good record in meeting proposed dates for introduction of
> new technologies or meeting its own deadlines in WGs for that
> matter...

Suggest a more appropriate timeline?

> I believe its good to mention that specific timeline will be
> posted as agreed by the community. I just don't think
> specific timeline should be set in stone at this stage as
> part of policy text.

ARIN policy is not stone.  It is prescribed practice by consensus.  The
credo is to try to get it right by bringing lots of smart stakeholders
together and let them decide...if it goes badly for unforeseen reasons, then
remedy it in practice by changing the policy....if there is inadequate time
for the policy remedy by normal channels and procedure, then the BOT
modifies it as necessary and the community catches up at the next regular
meeting.

This is the REGULAR and prescribed mechanism.  There are no emergency powers
really, and the policy process in very flexible.

> --
> William Leibzon
> Elan Networks
> william at elan.net