[ppml] ":" - Re: Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Dec 13 05:57:40 EST 2005

Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 04:35:05PM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:
>> The syntax "a:b" does not appear in that document.  Is it defined
>> elsewhere?  The use of the ":" as separator bothers me as that is
>> used in IPv6 address notation.
>
> And in community syntax, for both standard communities and extended
> communities (which become very very ugly with this notation).
>
> But you are right, probably not the place to discuss that, although
> this document text would set a precedence.
>
> A question to Geoff: why will issueing of 4-byte ASNs start only at
> 2007-01-01, not earlier? To give RIRs two(!) years time to prepare
> themselves from 32bit ASN?

One year :) It will be 2006-01-01 in about 17 days, depending on
timezone. This policy needs to be discussed, approved and also
implemented, software wise but also these blocks need to be requested
from IANA, which also means some time for policy, software, procedures
to be developed there. One year is going to be tight as it is already.
Ignoring that vendors also need to implement it, though I understood
that a couple of vendors where already busy with it, that even before
the draft is reasonably final, which is a rather good thing.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:14:58PM +1100, Geoff Huston wrote:
> ok - unless I hear to the contrary I'll run with the notation <high>.<low>

Ack too. The <high>.<low> format is good.

Greets,
 Jeroen