[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Dec 13 05:41:36 EST 2005

1.	I thought the policy was in plain English.  Admittedly, the British
	version of plain English often differs from what I grew up with,
	but, I think it was passable for North American Plain English.

2.	There is some convenience and human readability/error prevention
	to be gained from 1204.29182:1234 vs. your proposed 78934526:1234.
	I think that 1204:29182:1234 would be bad, and, the policy author
	has agreed and stated that he will change his recommendation to
	dot (period for those of you on the other side of the pond) instead
	of colon.

3.	I am not sure that sequential ASN allocation is worth while.  I do
	think it makes sense for ICANN to allocate blocks of ASNs to RIRs
	as is currently done, and, that prevents perfect sequentiality, so,
	I'm not sure that within a block sequential allocation from RIRs
	actually matters.  I suspect that ICANN will issue a single
	16 bit ASN prefix to each RIR to start, but, perhaps there will be
	some reason ICANN wants to issue smaller or larger chunks of ASNs.

Owen