[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Micro-allocations for anycast services

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Aug 10 22:47:47 EDT 2005

I like the concept behind this policy, that is to say we shouldn't
make it hard to deploy anycast services.

My concern though is does the policy as written open up the floodgates
and/or create loopholes with great abound.  Meeting the requirements
as listed is not hard.  What happens if people end up not using
these blocks for anycast services, but rather just as unicast blocks?
Does the community really want to open up anycast to a wide spectrum
of people, when the technique is full of pitfalls (for instance,
TCP applications don't always work so well)?  If someone has multiple
services out of the same POP's, can each service have any anycast block,
or only one per company?

I haven't yet formed a full opinion one way or the other, but I do
think some tigher controls would make me much happer, personally.