[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-2: Directory Services Overhaul

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Sun Apr 17 22:44:08 EDT 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Jeff Williams wrote:

> Glenn and all,
>
>  I don't like the idea that the ARIN staff has significant leeway with
> regard to discretion.  Discretion is a very nebulous thing and can be
> easily inappropriately or improperly applied for any number of
> reasons.  Hence a hard and fast policy for reclaiming resources
> is unfortunately necessary.

There are a lot of circumstances that can be involved that its difficult
to predict by policy text right now. It is probably better that we give
ARIN staff some discretion but require them to report on how its been
used and if we see that there have been cases that ARIN staff seems
to not be applyng "their discretion" in the right way then policy can
always be toughened (but already we'd have certain amount of experience
and be able to write more detailed policy). This is better then somebody
loosing the block because we were too tough and did not account for
their special circumstance.

>>  After ariving in Orlando and getting my registration packets, I read
>> Raymond Plzak's 'observations' related to ARIN directory Services &
>> Data...  I noticed some interesting stuff that made me think more
>> about what drives some of my underlying feelings of being uncomfortable
>> with the proposed policy (2005-2). From Section 4.1 of that document...

And for those not attending were can we read those 'observations'?

ARIN staff should really work harder on giving equality to availability of
documents to all the ARIN policy process participants (no matter if one is
attending meeting or not). As it is is, its 2nd time (in last 4 years)
that I'm not able to attend the meeting and yet again I see policy-related
documents mentioned  that only meeting attendees have access to ...

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net