[ppml] Process improvement for Repeat Proposals

Azinger, Marla marla_azinger at eli.net
Tue Nov 23 12:20:26 EST 2004

Excuse me but I lost track of who made this statement:

"Further I'd ad that some policy issues aren't related to integer
> managment, but maybe related to people management at the policy orgs".

I heard many people agree with this sentiment above at the last meeting.  We
should keep in mint that this "people management" issue tends to get a
little carried away at times in order to try and preserve the "spirit of
unabashed input from all".

However, there is another suggestion I put forward for a specific reoccuring
experience.  The experience I am referring to is when a proposal has come
back to a conference for discussion and vote for a second, third or God help
us all a fourth time.  I suggest that when a proposal is coming back for a
repeated time that a certain process is put in place.  Here it is:

1.  Results of the previouse conference discussion in regards to the
re-visited proposal be placed up on a slide.  This slide should include the
summary of all discussion points and the results of voting on those
discussion points.  I also suggest that discussion points already voted on
not be re-debated at the new conference since they have already been voted
on.  This way...we could move forward alot faster and not spend every
conference discussing the same thing over again and not getting anywhere.

That is my suggestion.  I'm sure it can be added on or improved...but
hopefully this starts the way to moving policy proposal a little faster
towards its implementation or its abandonment.

Marla Azinger
Electric Lightwave