[ppml] composition of and representation on the BoT

John Brown CT john at chagres.net
Tue Nov 23 09:03:55 EST 2004

> The general public buys newspapers and is not representative of
> serious Internet backbone geeks.  I can count on the fingers of both
> hands the number of times I've bought a newspaper in the past year,
> and half of those times I was buying it because I needed packing
> material or kitchen table protection for a messy project.  In the
> context of my peer group here, I'm sure I'm not unusual.
>
> That said, I do read annual reports when they're sent to me, and
> there's something to be said for well-produced glossy material - it
> makes better eye candy than a web page, and no dancing bologna, music,
> or flash annoyances (not that ARIN has any of these now).  So I don't
> necessarily agree with either Marty or John here.

my point, is that budgets are normally set by backbone geeks, but
instead by their managment.  thus i postulate that more involvement
could be had if there was budget to participate (time or money or both,
your choice).  thus helping managment see (read, touch, point to, etc)
the value of orgs like ARIN could help them budget for involvement.

its called marketing and perception.  we, geeks, don't like marketing
and thus cause our own "limiting", sometimes this is good, sometimes its
not.