[ppml] Please respond to my petition

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Mar 11 12:31:54 EST 2004

Please respond to my petition to get the whois proposal on the
agenda at the Vancouver policy meeting. The petition details
are here http://www.arin.net/mailing_lists/ppml/2610.html
and tell you how you have to formally reply to be counted
as supporting the petition.

Some of the people who have supported the petition so
far, actually disagree with some of the details of the
proposal. Supporting the petition only means that you
want this to be discussed at the meeting; it is not
necessarily an endorsement of the policy.

In any case, starting in September, a lot of whois information
will no longer be publicly available regardless of what ARIN
does. That's because APNIC has decided not to publish
*ANY* customer assignment information whatsoever.

My proposal for ARIN at least attempts to balance the
anonymity of end users with the needs for the Internet
community to get some detail on the geographic dispersion
of IP addresses. In this respect, I think it is far superior to
the APNIC actions.

Under APNIC rules you will get no information. Under the
proposed new ARIN rules you will get something like this:

128.0.2.0/29
Private User
Waukegan, IL, US

or maybe

128.0.3.0/29
Organisme Sans But Lucratif
Ste-Hyacinthe, PQ, CA

Which would you prefer?

--Michael Dillon

P.S. the French bit means non-profit organization. It would be nice if we
had some agreed classifications to put in this field, but plain text is
better than nothing.