[ppml] Petition Request for Whois Proposal

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Mar 10 11:18:05 EST 2004

>I'd like to document my opposition to this proposal. It is already
>hard enough to investigate online fraud and other abuse without
>intentional removal of contact information for allocated address
>space.

You don't really need to do this here. This proposal needs to get
5 supporters to send email to petition at arin.net with full point
of contact information, including their telephone number and
organizational affiliation or it won't even be on the agenda
for discussion.

>Those who would be responding to requests for information at the large
>providers are already horribly overworked, and this would be putting
>yet more burden on them.

I don't see how we put an increased burden on providers by
updating the whois directory to only contain contact
info that people guarantee to ARIN will reach a person who is ready,
willing and able to communicate regarding network operations
and interconnect issues and who is able to act on that communication.
Currently, the whois directory is filled with lots of blind alleys
and contact information that simply is not useful in order to
make contact with someone who can fix a problem.

I want to make the whois directory smaller so that if you
have an issue, you can forward it confidently to the whois
contact and forget about it because it will be dealt with
properly by a clueful recipient. In my opinion, that is the
purpose of having a whois directory in the first place, not
to facilitate cat'n'mouse games or telephone tag.

Also, please remember that this policy refers to ARIN's whois
directory of organizations who are using IP addresses. It has
absolutely nothing to do with any other sort of whois directory
such as the many domain name registries.

--Michael Dillon