[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for theAfrica Portion of the ARIN Region

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Sep 25 10:46:22 EDT 2003

>This list is not the appropriate place for a battle of wits over how
ARIN's
>funds
>are spent, and the lack of work that you claim the ARIN staff is doing,

Actually, you're probably wrong. This list *IS* the best
place for such a battle. However, the proper way to fire
the opening shots would be to propose a policy that ARIN
should operate with no more than 5 staff etc...

Then, with a concrete proposal in front of us, we could
engage in battle. Of course, writing a serious proposal
takes a lot of research and thought and even then, it
can be hard to get everyone else to understand just what
the proposal means.

But, that's life...

>I notice that you have all the answers. Yet, I fail to find your name of
the
>ARIN Members
>Meeting Attendee list.

ppml is for everybody, not just members. And it is
specifically created so that those unable to attend
meetings can comment on policies. The AC and the BoT
are not bound by the decisions of member meetings.
They can and do consider mailing list input when
making decisions.

Jeff's suggestion is not completely bonkers. Many
large companies and government agencies have made
policy changes and swept away entire bureaucracies
as a result. It could happen with ARIN as well,
especially when we get to the point where IPv6
deployment causes overall IPv4 usage to begin
shrinking.

But, no proposal like this will get anywhere
unless someone presents a serious and well thought
out policy proposal for us to review.

--Michael Dillon