[ppml] ARIN IP space in African countries...

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 24 21:38:05 EDT 2003

They didn't get that /22 under current ARIN policy from ARIN.

For some reason, in general, ARIN has divided things into two categories:

Allocations:  An ISP receives allocations and can assign portions of those
allocations to their customers.  ISP efficient utilization is determined
based
on the percentage of their allocation that they have assigned, and, on their
ability to show that their assignments were justified by their customers
under the end-user policies.

Assignments:  An end user receives assignments under the end user policies.
Assignments from ARIN do not come with membership, and, are much cheaper
per year than allocations.

The difference between an ISP and an End User is what the ORG decides they
want to be when they apply for the space.

An end user organization may separately join ARIN for $500 per year.

I believe the current maintenance fees for end user assignments (regardless
of the number of assignments, ASNs, etc.) are $100 per year.

Under current policy, noone can get a /22.

Under proposed policy 2002-3, an assignment of /22 is avilable, but, without
amendment, it does not allow for allocation of a /22.  I have proposed that
2002-3 be amended to include allocation, but, it has not yet been seconded.

Under porposed policy 2003-15, allocations of /22 would be available, but,
only to ISPs in Sub Saharan Africa.

Hope that clears it up.

Owen

--On Wednesday, September 24, 2003 3:49 PM -0400 "McBurnett, Jim"