[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Sep 24 16:34:43 EDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Gregory Massel wrote:

> I'd like to address your misconception that AfriNIC is vaporware.
> - AfriNIC was formally proposed in 1997 at Kuala Lumpur

6 years later, it's still not operational?  How long do you get before
it's properly called vaporware?

> - AfriNIC is in the process of setting up offices in four countries (Egypt,
> Ghana, Mauritius and South Africa)

Why does a NIC need offices in 4 countries?  RIPE seems to have _an_
office in The Netherlands.  ARIN seems to have _an_ office in VA.  Who's
going to fund AfriNIC's 4 offices in 4 countries with >4x the overhead of
a single office?

 Atlantic Net                |