[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Sep 22 15:25:20 EDT 2003

Add the following into this since we're talking about African Region.

"4. All allocations and assignments for African Portion of ARIN Region
 will be made out of distinct /8 reserved for such purpose and it should
 be reported to IANA which ip block is reserved for African Region. The
 first such reserved African Region ip block shall be 196/8"

Reasoning is to do it similar to LACNIC (for which ARIN was using 200/8
for all allocations) and when AfriNIC to ready to be able to transfer /8
to it with as little outside pollution as possible, plus since we have
this special /22 allocation policy, it would be good to have exact /8
identified in ARIN region as being used for /22 allocations.

Reason for 196/8 is because this ip block currently has enough free space
(9227 /24 blocks allocated - 14%, 56309 /24 ip blocks not allocated - 85%)
for Africa and of the allocation 14% of the blocks, about 1/3 are already
for organizations in Africa - largest portion of African allocations then
any other ip block ARIN has. Do note that currently IANA identifies 196/8
as "Various Registries - Early Internic Registrations" which generally
means ARIN is not allowed to make current registrations out of it (but I
have in fact seen new registrations as close as 2001 made to africa out of
this ip block), ARIN should oficially request IANA to change it and
identify to IANA that it will be making new allocations out of this ip
block for African portion of the net.