[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-10: Apply the HD Ratio to All Future IPv4 Allocations

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Tue Sep 16 14:09:22 EDT 2003

Michael:
  These two comments from you in two separate messages seem to show the
problem.
  In the first, you're clearly concerned about the efficiency of
utilization by larger end-users. While I won't dispute that this can be the
case at this time (I addressed this a while ago), it doesn't seem to be
related to the percentage of space the provider has assigned. Also, the
the 25/50% policy applies to end user utilization, which I believe is set
that way to be considerate of the complications of end-user address
management. I don't think you mean to say that a large user of address
space can't manage to achieve 50% efficiency, and I don't think it's meant
to mean 50% of the address space is occupied by hosts, only that 50% of
the address space is reasonably utilized in the network.
  In your second comment, you accept that there is confusion about the
terms, which I think is exemplified by your fist comment.
  Clearly what's causing trouble here is that there is not only confusion
about the words, but that there is a mix of users and providers, and in
some cases an organization is both a user and a provider. In such a case,
they need to consider themselves as separate entities by "assigning"
themselves space and applying the 25/50% rule to utilization of that space
while considering the entire space so assigned against their 80%
consumption of assignable space. If you do this, it's consistent with ARIN
policy and there should be little difficulty in managing the block of
space ARIN assigned up to at least 80%, and probably well more.
  The way I read the proposal, the HD ratio will apply to the provider's
pool of assignable address space and not to any end-user space.  The
policy for end-user space utilization would remain as-is. However,
RFC-3194 talks about issues of end-user space utilization and not address
assignment. Clearly what's confusing with the proposal is that the terms
are used without qualification and that RFC-3194 complicates matters with
it's use of "...Address ASSIGNMENT Efficiency...".
  I agree with you that if we just shoot the words "allocate", "assign",
and "utilize" and come up with new definitions of what we mean then we
might be able to figure out how to interpret 2003-10.

Chuck Scott