[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-11: Purpose and Scope of WHOIS Di rectory

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Sep 16 11:52:30 EDT 2003

SPAM: ---- Start SpamAssassin results
SPAM: 5.00 hits, 5 required;
SPAM: *  2.6 -- Subject contains lots of white space
SPAM: *  1.3 -- From: does not include a real name
SPAM: *  1.1 -- BODY: Spam phrases score is 03 to 05 (medium)
SPAM:           [score: 4]
SPAM:
SPAM: ---- End of SpamAssassin results

>1.  Can someone verify if this is or is not supposed to be a seperate
list
>from all the SWIP Records in the WHOIS database?

Tricky question. Today the SWIP records are used by ARIN for their own
internal purposes (verifying utilization) and are also published by
ARIN in the WHOIS directory. This proposal refers only to the published
WHOIS directory that is available to the public.

>2.  In the end...does this policy mean that if I want the End Users and
>ISP's that I Re-assign and RE-allocate to will not have their abuse,
>technical and whatever else contact info visibile unless I take extra
steps
>to ensure "I want them visible"?

I think that item 4 implies that you don't do anything extra. It's up to
the
end user and ARIN to communicate about the listing. And if you want to
keep
sending full SWIP info to ARIN for their own internal private use then
that's
just fine as long as ARIN keeps the info confidential. In short, you
probably
don't have to change any procedures if you don't want to. It would be best
if you tell the end users and ISPs that ARIN will contact them about their
contact info, but it's not essential.

>3.  When you mention validating the POC info every three months....is
this
>to be done with just Direct Allocation from ARIN?  Or do you really mean
the
>whole WHOIS database?

It's the whole database, but this would be a much smaller database. And it
is
up to ARIN to develop an efficient mechanism for doing this. Item 6 makes
it
fairly simple for ARIN because it is a fallback mechanism to let the world

know when the validation process has failed. If the listed organization
really
wants to be listed, they will fix their contact data eventually, or if
they
are an ARIN member, then they eventually have to accept invoices which
provides an ARIN communications channel.

--Michael Dillon