[ppml] Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments forMultihome d Networks

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Tue Sep 2 16:39:05 EDT 2003

First, let me explain that I have no concerns about the route table
exploding as a result of 2002-3 implementation.  I express the concern
because I have heard it expressed by some that I try to represent.  There is
no evidence to suggest that moving the boundary two bits to /22 would cause
a large problem.  Even if there were, filtering would limit its impact.
Rate-limits mechanisms are a way to comfort those with concerns in this
area.

Rate-limits are implicit in the follow-up mechanism proposed with the 2003-3
policy.  That is, that the route table be analyzed for growth during each of
the first 2 six-month periods following implementation..... implicitly,
action would be taken to limit assignments if there were substantial
difficulties with the policy implementation...... which I doubt would
happen.  Of course, some discussion suggested that a one-year analysis would
too short a period of time to assess the real impact....perhaps it should be
18 months or 24.

Limiting the number of assignments to 200 with a first-come, first-served
'wait-list' is another way of more precisely defining the process.  Whether
this is a reasonable number or one higher or lower is on the table for
discussion.

> I am confident that more route table growth will still be produced by
> irresponsible deaggregation than from any other source. I'm
> sure you can
> agree that a successful multi-homer micro-assignment policy, with a
> clear growth path into the traditional ARIN addressing policies, can
> reduce the number of advertised routes for non-contigious
> space, due to
> growth assignments from ISPs with conservative allocation policies.
>
> I further suggest that if the ARIN chooses to assign these blocks only
> within a documented /10 (or similarly-sized chunk of space
> which can be
> easily added to prefix-lists) and does not carve /24s out of it, ISPs
> can aggressively filter the micro-assignment space; making
> certain that
> recipients do not cause undue table growth through poor configuration.

The current proposed language speaks of a reserved block from which such
assignments would come.  This block would of course be identified for
operators to use as they see fit.