[ppml] Re: [address-policy-wg] Is the time for conservation over?

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Mon Oct 27 10:31:21 EST 2003

>It sounds a little bit contradictory to give away IPv4 addresses when
>you want people to migrate to IPv6, doesn't it? One of the supposed
>advantage of IPv6 is the as-much-as-you-can-eat approach to addresses

>So I think your proposal is seriously flawed and contradicts your
>desired goal.

You forgot this next bit. Think it through...

>> In addition, I don't see any good reason to wait until LIRs come and
ask
>> for IPv6 space. It's not scarce and the vast majority of IPv4 LIRs will
>> be deploying IPv6 sometime. So why don't we just give every single
>> one of them an IPv6 /32 today. Instead of creating barriers to the
>> adoption

We give out free IPv6 addresses to everyone using IPv4. And we make
it easier for new organizations to receive blocks of globally
unique registered IPv4 addresses, i.e. not hijacked addresses
and not RFC 1918 addresses.

In any case, this is just lowering a barrier. It doesn't solve
every IPv6 issue but it does remove an unecessary barrier.

--Michael Dillon