[ppml] Follow on to 2003-4, and suggested change.

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Oct 27 09:42:41 EST 2003

One aspect of 2003-4 was a waver of 5.1.1.d (in
http://www.arin.net/policy/ipv6_policy.html) which states:

  d) have a plan for making at least 200 /48 assignments to other
     organizations within two years.

Down in section 5.4.1, Assignment address space size, we have
guidelines for /48, /64, and /128 assignments.

Working for a provider who is likely to make a lot of /64 assignments,
at least relative to /58 assignments the wording of section d leaves
an immediate problem.  /64's don't count.

So, leaving the 200 as is for today, I propose the following new text
for 5.1.1.d to replace the existing 5.1.1.d:

  d) have a plan for making at least 200 /1 to /64 assignments
     under the rules defined in section 5.4, Assignment.

This specifically excludes "oddballs" (eg, the /128 case) and more
closely makes it mean (translated from policy to English) "we want
you to get 200 other organizations using IPv6".  The only downside
of the fully inclusive language is that it also includes section
5.4.3, which are internal assignments, but between the fact that
it makes the policy fully consistent and I think 200 is too high
that doesn't really bother me.

I'd specifically prefer this thread not go too deep into the
discussion of the 200 number, if we want to change that number let's
start a different thread and do it independent of this change so
the two don't share fate if they come to a meeting.

Comments?