[ppml] New ARIN Sub-region Policy Proposal (Rural-America)

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Oct 8 12:26:58 EDT 2003

> Then, John's proposal becomes
> unnecessary, 2003-15 becomes unnecessary,

I think it best to ask John whether or
not 2002-3 would make his proposal unnecessary.
Based on my personal history running an ISP
in rural Canada in the mid '90s, I think John
is right that there is an argument to be made
for special policies that apply to geographical
areas of North America outside of the largest
cities.

>and, we can avoid the resulting
>mess that gets created as each struggling consumer of IP space attempts
>find a small enough subset to specially classify themselves into that
they
>can get a special policy for what they need.

Politics is always messy. I'm not interested
in avoiding a messy set of policies because I
do not believe that "elegant" policy or
"theoretical brilliance" are part of ARIN's
charter. If the policy is moving forward
and improving over time, then messy is
just fine.

--Michael Dillon