[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Thu Oct 2 01:37:20 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 18:45, Owen DeLong wrote:
> > As someone who has no knowledge of the North American networking scene,
> > I'd be hard pressed to support or go against anything proposed for that
> > region. I'd prefer those people to sort out their stuff in a way that
> > suits them. In fact, it would be extremely arrogant and rude of me to
> > adopt any other line.
> > The converse if course, applies.
> >

> Right... since 2002-3 will affect sub-saharan Africa, decide on it based
> on whether you think it is a positive of negative effect for sub-saharan
> Africa or all of ARIN.  You can decide that.

No I can't decide on 2002-3 on this basis. Even though 2002-3 will bring
the region I know about and am involved in, the relief it needs, tying
the two together is just wrong. This is not a judgment on 2002-3, just a
reminder that the relief it will bring me is inadvertent.

> The point Leo and I are making is that it is one thing for us to weigh
> in and/or make policy for ARIN as a single region which we are a part of.
> In that case, we have a stake in the process, and, we are representing
> our views of what should be for something we are part of.

I think that you and Leo and everyone else should ignore the sub-saharan
region's needs when assessing 2002-3.

> It is arrogant and presumptuous for us to attempt to dictate policy for
> an area we are not part of.  It is even worse for us to vote in favor
> of something we think is needed where we are, but, only to give it
> to someone else at the exclusion of the area we are actually in.

I believe you shouldn't even be in this position. Maybe 2002-3 should
actually have wording to the effect of something like 'This only applies
to blocks allocated to the N. American region of arin. The blocks
allocated to the Sub-Saharan region will have separate policies as
decided by the members in that region'.

As Randy indicated 2003-15 is a hack.

> For us to vote in favor of 2003-15 in it's current form would be equivalant
> to handing our neighbor a band-aid while we continue to bleed, since we
> think our neighbor might have a bigger cut the bandaid won't actually
> handle.

Remember - AfriNIC will happen. I believe late next year. Then the
neighbors will pass what they need for them anyway. And then their
policies will have as much effect on arin's policies as lacnic's, ripe's
and apnic's have on arin right now.

> Owen

I really think you want to debate 2002-3 on its merits and leave the
bleeding(hearts) out of it.

regards

--Calvin

 Calvin Browne calvin at UniForum.org.za c at lvin.co.za
               Office phone: 080 314 0077        +27 11 314-0077
               http://orange-tree.alt.za Mobile: +27 83 303-0663
               Call me for Linux/Internet consulting