[ppml] Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2003-3

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at five-elements.com
Wed Nov 19 21:34:01 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 21:23, Owen DeLong wrote:
> the problem as petty, I should still be able to use my civil remedies even
> if law enforcement is unwilling to act on the criminal complaint.

FYI, Owen DeLong and others, in most jurisdictions, the police are a
criminal arm; where as the Sheriff is essentially an organization that
exists to carry out the wishes of the courts. If you have ever neglected
to pay your tax bill, it is the Sheriff who will send you a letter or
knock on your door. Likewise, if someone supoenas your testimony in a
court proceeding, the Sheriff will make sure you supply it.

At the U.S. Federal level, the distinction is between the F.B.I., who
are a police; and the U.S. Marshalls', who are a Sheriff organization.
Hence the cool shields, or the equally keen wild-west badges.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at five-elements.com>