[ppml] Policy Proposal -- Limit Scope of Anonymous Allocations

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at five-elements.com
Tue Nov 18 23:04:09 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 22:42, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> To fix provider type #1, do we:
>
>    - Not allow them to use DHCP to assign residential customers,
>      mandating static assignments and SWIP's?
>    - Mandate automated mechanisms to query the owner of a DHCP
>      assigned address?
>    - Do something I haven't considered?

Owen DeLong says his concern is with spammers and spam tolerant transit
vendors abusing the residential application for 2003-3. I don't see why
we're bothering to debate how to deal with legitimate residential DHCP
assignments. You might as well tell every dialup provider that they must
stop using dynamic address pools on their portmasters while we're at it;
or perhaps they should make their RADIUS accounting logs available via
WHOIS to satisfy these concerns? No doubt everyone will have an easy
time implementing this, just as victims of abuse will have an easy time
querying temporally-based data in same WHOIS servers.

All that seems unrealistic; and any policy mandating the above measures
would be summarily ignored by providers of residential access.

If the underlying issue is transitors and spammers abusing 2003-3, then
why not stick to that concern?

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at five-elements.com>