[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1a: Required Performance of Abuse Contact

Dr. Jeffrey Race jrace at attglobal.net
Tue Mar 11 20:24:24 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:38:51 -0700, John M. Brown wrote:

>Do you REALLY think a RIR can do the job better ??  I certainly
>dont, and dont even want them to think they can, or to try.
>
>Its *NOT* their job.

I believe the thrust of the proposal is that the system is now
broken because it is no one's job to enforce discipline, and
therefore someone must be assigned the job.  The lesson from
the way the rest of society works is that the body which allocates
the resources withdraws them if they are not used according to
the allocation agreement.    Some (small) amount of resources
must be devoted to the discipline mechanism.   If it is known
that discipline will be fast and ruthless, practically no
resources need be devoted because no one will dare to violate
the allocation agreements.  At the beginning you have to execute
a very few offenders 'pour encourager les autres'.

Viewing the big picture, I believe we can reasonably conclude
that whatever resources the RIRs devote to discipline will be
repaid hundreds, thousands or millions of times in reduced
costs to the Internet as a whole.   We can also conclude that
unless a discipline mechanism is adopted, problems of viruses,
trojans, spam and ddos will continue to multiply, as they are
now. The rising numbers for all of these metrics show the system as
now operated is broken.

Jeffrey Race