[ppml] RIR shopping -- AND MORE

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Sun Mar 9 08:59:29 EST 2003

      On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, John Curran wrote:
    > At 4:35 PM -0800 3/3/03, David Kessens wrote:
    > >What we really need is a global policy platform. The current policy
    > >process doesn't scale and the real cause of different policies is lack
    > >of communication between the different regions. The problems that we
    > >have with certain policies are not at all unique to our region -
    > >having attended many of the different regions policy meetings, I see
    > >the same problems (and simular but not the same solutions) coming up
    > >in the different regions.
    > I think we all see this happening, but it's hard keep things in sync between
    > the regions when the members take different stands on how to solve the
    > same problems.   It's very common for RIPE or APNIC's policies on a given
    > situation to come up during discussion at the members meeting, but that
    > doesn't always lead to our members taking the same approach.
    > If folks feel strongly about tighter inter-RIR coordination of policy formation,
    > that would be a great item to raise in Memphis.   If there's a consensus for
    > tighter coupling with the other RIRs, I'm certain the ARIN AC would heed it.

David, I think you and I should do exactly as John suggests, and bring it
up at the meeting.

I think what I saw at the Las Vegas meeting was that the membership were
happy to view harmonization as a strong criterion, but then everything
went amok on the PPML list, where just a few people decided to
second-guess the membership vote, and the process didn't take that
possibility into account.  I've talked with Scott about it, and he's said
he'll attempt to address it in the process overhaul he's drafting.

                                -Bill