[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

Lee Howard lee.howard at wcom.com
Wed Mar 5 10:52:43 EST 2003

Speaking as the Admin contact for UUNET, I can say that in the seven
months I have been listed publically I have received thousands of spam
messages (about 100-150 per day), a dozen threats, and maybe a couple
hundred (about 10/week) spam or hacker/abuse/security reports.  I reply
politely to every one of the latter, explaining what information should
be provided to whom (abuse-mail at wcom.com).  Most of the abuse reports
I get are sent to me instead of the Abuse POC.

I have not seen any requests that I could handle other than referring
to the existing POCs.

I also read NANOG, where I often see requests for help of some kind
from someone at UUNET, and I almost always direct those requests to the
right place, or have someone call the queriant.  Many other UUNET people
do the same.  None of these requests has ever been sent to the Admin POC
of UUNET directly.

If the entire Internet user community could be trained to not spam the
Human POC, and to exhaust other POCs before trying the Human POC, I'd
support this proposal.  The proposal is based on an assumption that
personal email addresses are more likely to elicit responses than role
accounts.

Lee