[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-1: Human Point of Contact

Einar Bohlin ebohlin at UU.NET
Tue Mar 4 19:59:48 EST 2003

Hi,

This post is for 2003-1 and 2003-2.

Long ago there were host records with POCs.
Then there were net records with POCs.
Then ASN records with POCs.

There's been a lot of traffic on queries of
whois records, and making changes to POC records,
etc., most of this stemming from spam and abuse
complaints.

ARIN has a gazillion records.  Most of those records are
nearly meaningless, like all of our /29s to DSL customers,
which are there in whois entirely for utilization information.

The key to all of this is that at any given time pick any IP
address on the Internet and it is part of one Autonomous System.
It follows that the only data for the purpose of contact information
that matters in all of ARIN's whois is ASN records.

Any organization that has registered an ASN with ARIN
has an ORG record.  ORG records have mandatory
ADMIN and TECH POCs.  There's also an optional
ABUSE POC and a NOC POC. In the future the ADMIN may
not be displayed, but there will still be a TECH POC.

That TECH POC should be a role account
because anybody who is running their own AS
should have more than one person responsible for
operations.

To sum this up, IMHO to meet all contact information requirements
for all ARIN nets, all that ARIN really has to do is try to make
sure that TECH POC info for ORGs that have ASNs is up to date
with phone, email, and street address.

Regards,

Einar Bohlin, IP Analyst
IP Team - Ashburn Virginia - WorldCom